Friday, December 9, 2011

Combat #29

"The Death March Of Bataan". I picked this issue based on its haunting cover, but after reading the issue I'm glad I did because of its even more haunting story. It tells of the brutal treatment of American and Filipino soldiers at the hands of the Japanese. Torture, physical and mental. Starvation and dehydration. I can't believe what they went through, and I can also believe it because of a news story I saw yesterday where the Japanese government apologized to the Canadian government for the treatment of its prisoners in WW2. I find it strange that as I read certain stories from a wars that happened years ago are still current in the eyes of the media, which is part of the reason why I collect these War comics. Stories, like this one in Combat, should never be forgotten or lost.


*note* this issue apparently is a reprint of the same title but #3 printed in 1961

No comments:

Post a Comment